first post-op appointment


My original plan was to write these moments and experiences chronologically, but obviously, I've failed at that. Perhaps when I'm done, I'll reorganize the posts to flow more cohesively.

Yesterday, I had my first follow-up appointment. Since my surgery on February 16th, I have had six drains attached to various parts of my body, three per side. Two of the drains exit at my hips, one on each side another four exit around my bra-line, 2 on each side. When I say drains, a clear image doesn't come to mind. I'll post a picture of what they look like. 

To explain it in words isn't easy. The drains essentially look like the bulb part of a turkey baster, but clear. Each bulb has a small plug on the top that opens so that the contents can be squeezed out. Each drain also has a small clear tube that connects it to an incision in my side. The tubes are stitched to my skin.

Though it seems obvious to say this, the tubes and drains make sleeping extremely uncomfortable. My doctors have told me to sleep on my back, but for me, that's nearly impossible. If I lay on my side, the location where the tubes enter my skin becomes painful and irritated. 

I woke up in the hospital on 2/16 with six of these drains safety-pinned onto a compression bra. The drains are to be emptied and the amount logged twice a day. I'm not sure who came up with this way of completing the task, but it is the most dehumanizing process. I awoke from a 6 1/2 hour surgery to an uncomfortable numbness and covered in these plastic bulbs filled with drainage of blood and plasma. 

But, I'll circle back to all of that eventually. I went in for my appointment ecstatic to have some of my drains taken out. The PA had me inhale deeply and then exhale while she removed the tubes. One from my left side, one from my left bra-line, and one from my right bra-line were removed. It was painless. She applied a small piece of gauze and tape and within 15 minutes, I was out the door. When the three drains were removed, it felt like (and I hate this analogy) a huge weight had been lifted. When I got home, I could rest on my left side. 

Last night was the first night that I've had since my surgery where I was somewhat comfortable lying down. I wasn't in constant pain, but I still didn't sleep well. However, the ability to lie on my side was amazing. It was the first day that I felt actual progress towards healing.

Drains emptied: 9
Amount drained: 92 mL
Pills taken: 26, 1 injection
Tears cried: 0




Edit: I also got my first vaccine dosage today!

Popular Posts