deciding on surgery
Yesterday, I had my last two drains removed. I feel so much better. Now, my main healing focus is the incision that goes from hip to hip across my abdomen. When I say hip to hip, I mean that the ends of the incision are on the side of my body.
I'm not completely sure how the incision is being held together. For the first few weeks, I had an adhesive tape going across. During my second surgery, they removed the tape. Now I have to wear a compression garment to keep my swelling minimal and even. The compression garment zips all the way up the sides and reaches from just below my chest to mid-thigh. It is very tight and VERY uncomfortable.
I'm supposed to wear it continuously, so we'll see how that works when I'm trying to sleep.
Meanwhile, I need to get back to my story and the purpose of this blog.
For years, the routine would continue. OBGYN visit, mammogram, ultrasound...
Then, in 2014, I had Penelope.
This and ONLY this is the reason that I sought out genetic testing and counseling.
In October of 2019, I had blood drawn and met with a genetic counselor at The Bing Cancer Center. Typically the gene associated with breast cancer are the BRCA genes (1 & 2). I did not have a positive mutation on either of these genes, however, I did test positive for a mutated CHEK2 gene. This gene has much less information about it and there is still a lot of research being done. CHEK2 has been linked to breast cancer and colon cancer. Having this mutation plus being a direct descendant of someone that died of breast cancer put my risk percentages at around 70%. After receiving my results, my OBGYN referred me to a breast surgeon.
Before meeting with the surgeon in August 2020, I found a lump in my left breast. I had a mammogram and an ultrasound. Directly after the ultrasound, I was given a biopsy. During a biopsy, they inject a numbing agent, but there is still some feeling. I sobbed the whole time. Fear overtakes me and sometimes I cannot stem it. In order to take a sample, they clip off a few pieces of the mass. The worst part about this process is the sound. There is a loud snap, almost like a wooden ruler hitting a desk. It's startling.
When I left the biopsy, I sat in my car and cried. I called my Aunt and my Dad and I texted some important people. I controlled my breathing to stave off a panic attack and then drove home.
I received a call about 2 days later telling me that my results came back benign. I day or so later, I met with my breast surgeon and again cried through most of our initial meeting. Dr. Halaharvi suggested a double mastectomy with diep flap reconstruction. She also explained that she had gone through the same procedure. I agreed to the surgery because my chances of developing breast cancer would drop from 70% to less than 5%.